Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Kate's Favorite Things #1....Finally!!!

So if you are just dropping by be sure to check out the rest of my list thus far: #10, #9, #8, #7, #6, #5&4, , #3&2

Well for this final climatic entry I am going to break the rules a little bit - because this is not something you just buy - this is an experience, a challenge, a community and so not a product!! :)

Some of you may have guessed this
My Number 1 new 'thing' of 2009 is...
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!!!!

Ha! I love it. If you have been around me at all in the last 3 months I bet you are probably rolling your eyes - because this has been all I talk about!!!
For me, Jiu-Jitsu has been a way for me to become myself again. I know it sounds weird but being able to challenge myself to become better, physically and in almost every other way has opened me, to be me again.
As a mom, it can be so easy just to go a little numb from the monotony and the constant demands that everyone else places on you. It is awesome for me step into the club and for me to make demands of myself. To push myself to work harder, become stronger, think faster - and then in one tiny little moment some of those things come together - I feel victory and accomplishment. Things that you rarely get to feel when you are with kids at home!! (Don't get me wrong I love being at home with my kids but the job is never done!!! :)
So yes my number 1 is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I would be happy to answer any question if you are interested in checking out this super cool martial art.

Happy New Year:)


1 comment:

Tara said...

that's awesome!! I did it in highschool, but I stunk! My first sparring match I started to lose (and they say you can defeat anyone regardless of size - HA!) So I pulled her hair and pinched.... bad tara. But at least she was a friend.... right?