Thursday, December 17, 2009

Kate's Favorite Things #7...

So if you are just dropping by be sure to check out the rest of my list thus far:
#10, #9, #8


So here comes #7...if you are scrolling slowly with some trepidation after reading #8, you can relax - there will be no more awkward surprises from here on out!
This is one of those things in my life that I consider a necessity, although I know by all rights it is a luxury.



Now unveiling, in a completely non-brand specific way, my #7

My Dishwasher!!!
(Which by the way happens to be a new Maytag)


Ok... so this story has deep roots. My parents were great at teaching us kids responsibility and other such life lessons through the use of chores. My least favorite of these chores was doing the dishes. It wasn't that they took a long time or that the job itself was particularly horrendous - it was just that it was completely devoid of any satisfaction. Usually when you finish a task you can look around and feel somewhat satisfied by a job well done. Not so with dishes because realistically the job is NEVER done! Inevitably someone drops off a missed cup or a pot needs to soak...and if this doesn't happen sometime in the next hour, if not less, someone will use a dish and leave it by the sink. Ugg.

Lets flash forward and leave out a lot of the gory details. Ed and I had been married just about 2 years and we move into our new apartment just in time to have our first baby. The only downside to the place (other than a 'natural wood feature wall' - who does this!!) was the fact that it had no dishwasher and a single sink. Before Eliana arrived I told myself it didn't matter...we'd make do.
EIEIEIEYI!!
Lets just say that the following 10 months that we lived there were very long!!! When we looked into buying our place that we are in right now....my first question? "Does the dishwasher come with it!??!" (Ed did explain that we could buy a dishwasher for any house we moved into but that wasn't enough....it needed to be in there!!)

Flash forward again to earlier this year. Our dishwasher, that yes came with the house, was dying. I was getting desperate. Dishes began to live in the dishwasher as I washed them over and over and over in a vain attempt to clean them without touching them!!
I cringe at the thought of how much water I wasted. Then one, sad day the dishwasher died. I once again talked myself into doing dishes by hand. *Sigh* A futile effort. Soon Ed could see that the dish situation was getting to me. (Isn't he just turning out to be the hero of this top ten list!)
We went out with our dear friend, Mr.Visa, and picked up the dishwasher you see before you.

My favorite feature of this puppy is the garborator that prevents it from getting plugged up with food bits. Love it. I was so excited by the results I would spontaneously break into the hallelujah chorus while putting my dishes away (I'm serious, I really did!)

So I don't know how much brand matters on this one but I have to say that I have been very happy with ours. We didn't go top of line but we didn't cheap out either. The two things that sold us on this particular model - where the stainless steel tub and the garbarator. Still pricey but well under $1000 which was important to us - oh and Mr.Visa.


Kate

No comments: