Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cupboards and other such places that breed trouble...

This is one of those things that I keep getting asked about when I talk to people about my children's latest exploits (i.e. messes)

"Don't you have childproof locks on your cupboards?"
The answer is yes I do BUT I have rather creative children that apparently have too much time and space on their little hands! There have been several large catastrophes in the last six months and so many mini ones I can't keep count. Let me recap - Well it all started with sharpie markers and scissors - both can make changes that are almost permanent!! Eliana's art on our walls and hair that is about 6 different lengths can attest to this. The day I found the two of them COVERED in Vaseline sliding around Gabe's room stands out for me. To clean them up we had to cover them in cornstarch which was a lot more fun for me that I would care to admit. Most recently Eliana began her cooking career in her bedroom - six boxes of jello powder, a small bowl and a cup of water can make one heck of a mess. Funny thing is that Gabriel's job was to stir the concoction with a toy golf club (I spied on them before I made the bust!). Just this morning Eliana decided to feed Selah(our dog) our last 2 Lt's of milk!!!

Now I do know that my kids really are not any different than any other kids. I know I am not raising my own version of "Pinky and the Brain"...


"What are we going to do this Morning Eliana?"

"Same as we do every other Morning Gabe - Try to Destroy the house"

No, I know that they are acting their age. Exploring, Experimenting and all that other good stuff. The one I question, is myself. Am I acting my age and doing my job!?! I don't have an answer to that one yet. Beyond if I am even able to watch their ever move - I don't want to!! I want them to be able to have the space to become independent and confidant in their own ability to take on new challenges BUT my job and love for them has to fence that all in with creating a safe space for them to explore in. I find the balance tricky. Maybe all parents do?? The day that Eliana got into the Tylenol and drank the bottle (YIKES!!!) I was ready to fall apart. Luckily for us she was ok but it was enough to shake me up. How do you foresee all their adventures or buy a 'cupboard locks' for all the potential dangers that will come their way. Ugg.


Welcome to parenting I guess!



1 comment:

Cardinal's Cove said...

Bahahaha! Points to my post on kids! ;)

funny stories! :)

Hope all is well Kaite!

ryan