Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Coming of Spring...

So I think spring fever is in the air. Actually it probably arrived a couple of months ago but seeing as though spring itself has decided to take its sweet time coming the symptoms of spring fever seem to be getting more and more extreme. It started the usual way...people reorganizing closets, cleaning up all the forgotten corners of the home. As the snow continued to linger people seemed to think that denial may work and started packing up the winter clothes and heading out and about in thinner jackets and runners. Then it snowed again and everyone fell into a deep melancholy which manifested itself in everyone refusing to shovel their driveways. A few weeks later when the snow began to melt again...this time at a quicker pace the really weird symptoms started showing themselves. People began shoveling their snowbanks out into their driveways and roads! At first there where only isolated incidences and then, far too quickly, it became a common sight. Lawns started getting the same treatment as though the grass just could not survive just one more week of snow sitting on it. It has become a sorry state of affairs around here. People are so desperate for spring and warmer weather that they are becoming delusional. I watched a neighbour out washing his outside windows the other day....somehow oblivious to the fact that the dust and dirt on the roads, that is so thick right now you can see the little dunes, is just waiting to get kicked up into the air and float right over to his dripping windows.
I don`t know if we need to declare a state of emergency or anything yet but I don`t know how far off we as a community are from a collective mental breakdown. In fact right now I am staring at the three and half foot snowbanks still sitting in my front yard, and there, just across the road I can see the liberated grass on my neighbours lawn and I can`t help but wonder where I put my shovel.

No comments: