Saturday, March 14, 2009

An Inspiring Day

Today was one of those days that was beautiful from start to finish and I am sitting here this evening still basking in its glow.

Ed got me up early this morning and took me to his job site. He arranged to take me though this multi-million dollar house that he has been working on. I found myself catching my breath at it all. The house is still far from finished but the care that was going into the workmanship was so evident; it was inspiring. The stonework and overall design was so elegant and almost understated that it drew you into each space it occupied. Although the piece of work that I think stole my heart today was the woodwork. The owner of this house has hired a craftsman that is building these massive, solid wood doors all by hand. Each door he is sanding down and 'distressing' to give it a weather worn look and then staining a beautiful rich walnut colour. They are the most perfect doors I think I have ever seen. I stood for a long time just running my hand over the smooth undulating surface. The patterns in the wood were mesmerizing.

Anyway I will snap out of it here and carry on with my day. The area this house is being built is quite beautiful as well and Ed encouraged me to bring my camera along. I was so inspired from all that I had seen that it made me want to be better and strive for more in my art form. In the end I was able to wander around and take some photos that I was absolutely thrilled by. It was such a treat to be able to take my time and just appreciate the beauty around me.

The morning just set the tone for the rest of my day. I felt so enabled to just slow down and spend time with my family. What a treat.

The power that beauty has to restore and inspire always astounds me. I don't often stop and take the time to just appreciate all the beauty that surrounds me every day but I never regret it when do.

2 comments:

Renee said...

i wanna see these pictures!!

I'm Dominique said...

I would also like to see these photos :)