Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Illustrious `B`


So first of all I should probably address the name B.
Eliana was given a `Bunnies by the Bay` Bunny from my mom and dad when she was born. It was such a pretty little bunny that we put her to bed with Eliana every night. Since Eliana was so little and Ed and I are so creative we just called the little bunny...bunny. As Eliana got a bit older and started getting attached to this little rabbit she started to try to call it bunny as well but only got as far as the first letter - B - and so the strange name was born and so was the surrounding confusion.

Eliana running around calling `B!!!!` has confused and troubled more than one person!

So when B came into our lives she was pristine and beautiful - like this picture that I grabbed off of the bunnies by the bay website. She is a little more weather worn now. I guess after just about 3 years of constant snuggles, day trips and adventures I am just happy we still have her. Eliana generally knows at any given time where B is. One night I was looking all over for her and when i asked Eliana she said, `In coset mommy`(i.e. In the closet Mom!) Sure enough there was B.

B has been left at Nana`s once or twice...enough to know that it is better for everyone if you don`t leave the rabbit behind.

I guess I am to blame for Eliana`s extreme attachment to this little piece of cloth. I was one of those kids that totally adored my `stuffies` and felt very convicted by the story of the velveteen rabbit. I actually still have my baby stuffie. Weird as it is I also know how comforting it was to have something familiar with you when you went out and explored the world. And so B comes along with us most places, and partakes in many day to day activities.
Some of her most famous mishaps happened along the way.

The dryer was a big one. It took B from being fluffy and soft to some sort of well worn pilled up fleece.

Eliana`s height was an issue for a while because B ended up being dragged through malls and parking lots and such.

The flu is particularly bad for B. She usually escapes any `projectiles`but it`s all the runny noses and tears that she gets to soak up. I usually refer to B as the `Bunny of Death`during these times and try not to touch her to much while I take her to the washing machine because I am pretty sure she probably is caring the Plague.

Recently she has had a run in with a space heater...lets just say it could have been worse.

At the rate she is going I am not totally confidant that she is going to make it beyond this toddler stage and I am considering having a new B on standby but I guess the best part about ugly, dirty, bedraggled bunnies is that they are loved.

No comments: