Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A "B" Story

So I have previously blogged about my daughters little security blanket/stuffy named "B". Since my last blog this little bunny has not gotten any prettier or less worn. Sooo when my mom called the other day saying she found "B" at a store and had bought her to be swapped out with old "B". I was all for the idea. I figured we would put "B" in the wash and then when she came out of the dryer *POOF* magically "B" would look like new.
Today was the day of the swap. Old "B" went in and new "B" was placed in the dryer. I told Eliana that the dryer was done so she could go and grab "B". She ran over, opened the door (calling "B's" name all the while) and pulled out new "B".

" Mommy dis isn't "B" !? This is Mimi's "B" (Mimi is Eliana's name for Auntie Meighan)

Hmm time for quick thinking...I had nothing. I tried to play it off.

"Eliana this is "B"
"NO mommy dis in not "B", I don't ike dis "B"
"Do you want to take it for your quiety time?"
"NO! I don't ike new "B" (Now crying) ike my "B"

She went to her quiety time (ie nap time) without any "B"...all the while crying and mourning the loss of "B" I brought in new "B"

" Are you sure you don't want to sleep with new "B"? Look how beautiful she is."
" NO mommy"

A little while later I brought in her old "B". It was just too sad to hear her crying over her little rabbit. When I brought "B" in her face lit right up and she grabbed it and hugged it then she held it up and said,

" See mommy, my "B" beautiful"

Oh to see the world again in the eyes of a child hey!!! I guess old "B" gets to collect some more germs.




2 comments:

Leslie said...

Hey Kate! Thanks for saying hi on the blog. I was so excited to hear that you had some connection to VAC. Did you know that I worked there for 3 years before I moved to Haiti? It was nice to hear from "home" :) What's the name of your friend that told you about the blog? Just wondering if I know them.

You don't need to post this, and if you want to respond "off the record" you can email me at office@cleanwaterforhaiti.org. I would love to hear from you. Thanks for the encouragement too. Sometimes it's hard to throw it all out there. It's nice to know that it people get something out of it.

Shawna said...

Kate, I know how you feel, we have a very old, very grubby looking teddy that is so dearly loved I don't care how many times my mom "asks" me when we are going to "get rid" of him, he stays until she is done with him. I have to say that I am just as attached to teddy, and woof woof, and more recently Ella the Elephant. One time we thought we lost woof woof and I was teary, so I can only imagine how they feel! cheyanne and Emmersen launch into desprate states when they can't find their loved one, even when they know it is somewhere in the house. For all the germs these little guys bring in, they also provide hours of love, a continual playmate, and constant comfort for the kids when we as parents aren't able to be there. One of my highlights is watching reinactments of life through the kids' interactions with their stuffies. Teddy goes to the naughty spots, always makes mistakes when learning to write letters, sneaks his sisters things, and even plays tricks. I agree with you on what a cool thing it would be to see the world through our kids' eyes.
~Shawna~
ps have you ever seen the commercial where the mom has to buy a new teddy and starts thrashing it to look like the old one, running it over, pulling off an eye, etc. it is a lot funnier when you can see yourself doing the same thing,lol.