Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Read the Instructions!! (Adventure in Making Homemade Tapioca)

Man do I wish that I took a picture of my kitchen a mere half hour ago....

It all started with feeling ambitious this morning and itching to try something new in the kitchen - actually scrap that - this all started because of food network and shows like Master Chef that have filled my head with the crazy notion that my culinary genius is being hidden from the world  - and - I  - must - break - free!

To say the least I may have inadvertently concocted a primordial soup that, now that I released it down the drain, may spawn unknown horrors in the bowels of our dear little town.  Sorry all.

To get down to the facts let me share with you what I have learned about making homemade tapioca

1. Read the Instructions!!!  - When it says 1 cup to 3 cups of water DO IT.  If you happen to do what I did which was 1 BAG to 3 cups of water you may have to use every pot in your cupboard to contain the ever expanding mass.

2. Tapioca has NO flavour - Again, surprise, surprise - consumerism has failed me.  The tapioca that you get for a dollar is super yummy and is flavoured. Not so in the real world.  Its just goopy little translucent balls - So I dug out every bowl I had and made custard, from scratch.

3.  The Goop - Ok so as mentioned in #2 tapioca produces large amounts of goop.  Especially when you fail to follow the instructions.  In order to salvage the tapioca itself from all the goop I employed the following tools: goop sieve, tapioca scooper, tapioca spoon (to get it out of the scooper), goop catcher bowl, goop cloth, goop scrubby and goop spoon and scoop holder.  Despite my best efforts my kitchen was covered from one end to the other in goop.  It has since all gone down the drain...don't think Ed would be particularly pleased with that decision but lets hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.

4.  Buy Tapioca for a Dollar - Seriously, at the end of it all, it tastes virtually the same.  Well at least it will to my culinary audience of Ed and the kids.  IF Gordon Ramsey shows up at my house I would happily make it from scratch but I have a feeling he would just end up yelling at me anyway.

Stay tuned later this week I want to try Lemon Meringue Pie from scratch.  Should be fun - yellow goop!

Hope you are having a beautifully messy day

Kate

1 comment:

Shawna said...

oh how I have missed you and your lovely misadventures Kate, you always bring a smile to my face :)