Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Christmas Lighting Rant...

Ok I know, this may be an odd thing to rant about.  Rant might not even be the right word...I am not angry or frustrated but I am a little saddened..


WHY??


Well I just can't stand the LED christmas lights that are ever where.  Don't get me wrong - I love the power savings and world cataclysm avoidance they represent...I just cannot get over how anemic and understated they are.


Like really understated...the other day I drove past a place that used the blue and purple LED and I would almost venture to say they produce anti-light.  The dark vibrant colour emits so little light they are hard to focus on but because its not normal to the landscape your eye is almost inexplicably drawn back to it.  It really is like some sort of Christmas Light Black Hole of Anti Light.....You get sucked in wether you want to or not.
This does not bring me Christmas joy and make me want to celebrate....It makes me want to rub my eyes and go unplug the darn things.


Remember when Christmas lights not only illuminated the snow along the eves but the entire face of a house!  How cheery and warm and welcoming was that!  These poor little LED's if they get a true Canadian size dump of snow on them become faint orbs of colour again creating the CLBH of AL. I just find it a little disheartening. I love colour - I love light.....Christmas lights are supposed to bring those two things together, without giving me a headache.


Although I have to admit two things....I see hope for the LED's because someone has taught the manufacturers about the concept of colour temperature and they are now offering 'white' or clear lights that are not blue in tone but rather a nice warm cream....A big step in the right direction if you ask me.


And the second I have to admit rather abashedly - We have anemic Christmas Lights creating Black Holes of Anti Light on our house right now.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

LOL, I totally agree Kate!! It is funny we were just looking at lights the other night and Michael was commenting on how those light blue LED lights give off such a depressing glow! Looking at houses that are all done in that light makes me feel sad instead of cheery!