Thursday, October 22, 2009

Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu

So I have to say that I have always been one of 'those' girls. You know the ones - the ones that started out playing in the mud and collecting bugs and ended up as video game freaks. It's not to say that I'm not feminine or into girly things...its more that I've just always been drawn to activities that are not classically female past times.

Point in case, Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu. Now if you talk to me on any sort of regular basis you will know that my husband is a jiu-jitsu freak. He started just about 5-6 months ago now and he LOVES it. You would have also heard me jokingly complain about how much I get "beat up" (I use that term very loosely) Basically after class Ed comes home totally pumped and wants to show me all the new submissions and moves that he has figured out. Initially I would roll my eyes and ignore my own fascination with this fighting style. A relatively new friend of mine and someone I consider to be quite the kindred spirit (she loves video games too!)had been trying to talk me into joining BJJ as much as Ed had been. I still was torn about it. Stay at home moms are not supposed to be going out in the evenings to fight, right?? Where's the grace and elegance...although I suppose a good arm bar has a little bit of both involved in it ;)
SO
I went to my first class on Wednesday.

I totally loved it. I came home all pumped and wanted to show Ed what I had learned. Some girls can sew and cook and have a clean house and are domestic goddesses - Most days of the week I aspire to be like them. Although very soon I am going to take a couple of evenings each week I am going to go and lay my domestic side aside and try to learn how to choke someone out.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

remind me to stay on your good side!!
renee

Leanne said...

Love it... as long as you never, ever, practice on me!

nicole said...

Welcome to my world. The code word in our house is 'take it to the mat'. However, being the only female in the family I choose to sit on the sidelines and be an observer rather than a participant. I know all the positions, terminology, techniques... but why would I want to take part and risk crushing my sons/hubby's ego by making them tap out? :) you go girl!