Sunday, June 7, 2009

We Picture This {Before and After}

So I am definately new to the world of post processing but thanks to the freeware program GIMP (Photoshop for those of us not yet ready to invest the money in buying the real thing!) I have been having a lot of fun playing with even the most basic tools.
Before
Canon EOS 30D
F stop F 4
Exposure 1 500 sec
ISO 320
Focal Length 75mm

After

So using Gimp, I first played around with the colour tools - mostly hue and saturation. Then I cropped the photo to eliminate the house in the background and finally I used the clone tool to eliminate some of the dirt piles in the background.

I love this photo and it was really fun to find ways to make me love it even more...

I am definately looking forward to learning how to make more artistic modifications!

OH and a BIG P.S. - How in the world do you upload larger pics, I picked the large size when I placed them on the blog but as you can see this is all I get!! I did try manually stretching them out afterwards but it affects the quality of the image...any suggestions would be fantastic!!

we picture {this}

11 comments:

the meaklims said...

Really nice work at editing this picture.

My Two Seasons said...

That is gorgeous editing work! I love the saturated color and hor her dress really pops now! Beautiful!!

Rebecca Lily said...

Very pretty processing! I love how natural you kept this, but you really brought in an artistic effect with the saturated greens & popped colors... lovely!

If you want the larger photos on your blog, you'll have to host them elsewhere rather than use Blogger's upload system. If you upload your pics to Flickr or Photobucket, you can link back from within your post. :)

Rosina said...

I LOVE the colors--they really pop! Beautiful picture, beautiful setting.

Hana said...

Great job! The color just POPS!

As for enlarging the photos, I upload to Flickr first and you can get larger sizes!

Leanne Marie said...

Hey a quick question. Would you be able to make me skinnier is my photos with this program?

Donna said...

Wow! You took it from blah to beautiful! (okay, it was orignally much better than blah).

Great editing!

Donna
Our blog: Double Happiness!

Alicia W. said...

great job on making the colors POP

Sid said...

love the way the colors pop!

Check out my blog and let me know what you think :)

Andrew said...

Hi Kate

You wanna roll up your sleeves and get a little nerdy with the coding?! :D Yes, I'm going to take up a lot of space here on your comments page ...

... OK, it isn't too bad. there is a relatively easy way to make the pictures bigger - but i would caution from making them too big since (1) the quality of the image may decrease, (2) people can always just 'click' on the image to see it big.

OK. Notes.
1 - Upload your picture (big size is fine).

2 - After you upload your picture, click 'Edit Html' (to the right of the title bar above the blogger tool menu bar and text field.

3 - find your picture in the crazy world of html. You should be able to find the name of the jpg file (ie. weddingpic.jpg or whatever you called it).

4 - After you find the file, look for this line of coding which comes relatively soon after the picture file name:
"cursor: pointer; width: 400px; height: 300px;"

5 - adjust the numbers (say 600px and 450px), but maintain the same ratio (in this case the ratio is width:height, 4:3px). Yes, this involves math! :)

6 - Click "Compose" when you're done (beside Edit Html) and preview to see if you like it.

PS - I don't have the time to learn GIMP, but I have really enjoyed Picasa - simple Google photo software with a lot of great tools.

Cheerio!
- A

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful picture! Your edit really made it POP! Great!!