Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What's in A Name...

Ok...I'll spill the beans.
I wasn't gonna blog this particular story because if you have are around me at all you have probably heard it.
But for the rest of you out there that get a kick out of the bizarre situations I sometimes get myself in - This ones for you.


Ok so a couple of weeks ago I was doing some photos at a ladies event at my church. I was surprised to find out that the woman speaking, Berty N, at the event had a familiar story and name.  She was a south african woman married to a doctor and her name was so familiar because I had just been referred to her husband.  This in itself was kinda cool - doctors are kinda like celebrities in that it is easy to forget that they are normal people with lives outside of the hospital!
Anyway but there was something else about this woman that I was more excited by...I was pretty sure I had met her before - a couple of years earlier.  I had been at a friends birthday party and been introduced to a south african woman that was married to a doctor and I had so enjoyed our visit.  She was just one of those people that was easy to relate to and memorable for that very reason.
So back to the church where my powers of deduction were putting all the pieces of the puzzle together.  Flash forward to the end of the night when I had the opportunity to say hello to this woman. I was nervous to introduce myself but still buzzing from the photo session I was just finishing up (Yup photography gives me more energy than a red bull!)
So here I am jittery nervous lady and I just walk right up to this woman and introduce myself thusly,
"Helloi'mKateIthinkimetyouacoupleyearsago!?ItwasonlyonceatabirthdaypartybutIjustthoughtitwasneattoseeyouagainAndguesswhatIjustfiguredoutthatIhavebeenreferredtoyourhusband...."
I kinda petered out at this point because my brain had caught up with my mouth and I realized she was standing there politely awkward - not recognizing me back and frankly looking a little skeptical at this crazy photographer who was verbally accosting her. It dawned on me that if she didn't know me she would know my friend who had invited her to the party, thus proving I was not crazy.
"Do you know Christie S?" 
"No"
"Oh. Hmm. Ok"
And that was the end of the conversation.


Oh Boy. I was confused. So I called my friend Christie and asked her who in the world she had invited to her party?!  Sure enough it was a south african woman married to a doctor - named Paula - Not Berty. Wow.

In retrospect I should have known better. I mean in this area if you are a south african woman chances are you ARE married to a doctor! We have quite a few within a relatively small area.
Well to say the least I am off to meet Berty's husband today (Doc appointment) but there is no way that I am going to mention that I met his wife!! lol


No comments: