Monday, November 24, 2008

My beautiful Mess....

So I think like most people I enjoy beautiful things…the idea of beauty itself. I totally fantasize about having a beautiful home, that is perfectly decorated – that has closets full of beautiful clothes that accentuate my every wish of beauty.
It could go on and on but I usually don’t have to go much further before I realize that I could pursue this beauty but be missing out on the beauty that God has lavished around me. For me, now, it’s in the soggy cheerios smooshed into my carpet and drool that cakes my clothing. It’s in the pile of laundry on my couch and the craft supplies on the kitchen table. All of these things speak to God’s providence in my life. I get to stay home, with my kids, most days, and make messes! I often forget this. I forget that this is a “get to” not a “have to”! My definition of beautiful is changing…or maybe broadening is a better word. I still want my house to be nice…I’ll even settle for just clean; but I am tired of waging war against the mess and chaos of motherhood.
I really just want to look at the 4ft artwork of smiling faces my daughter drew on her bedroom wall and teach the lessons that need to be taught without the angst of begrudging the need to buy yet another magic eraser.

2 comments:

Cardinal's Cove said...

Yay! Another blogger! Welcome! :)

Cept .. I don't know if I can come back to your site. You have country music on your playlist there... yuck.

:)

ryan andré

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Kate,
I saw that you are following me, so thought I'd come look at your blog. I didn't know I was going to end up commenting on your first post, but I wanted to because it sounds like we have a lot in common.

I was blessed to be a stay at home mom until my daughter went to first grade. I went back to college and then taught a couple years. I ended up missing out on time spent with them during their grade school years. Like you, when I do something, I really get into it, and "spend" myself.

Even though I have regrets, God used the schooling and other experiences I've had to lead me where I am today, as a special education para. I love my job. Our son and daughter are grown. I''m glad they live close by, and we get to see our grandson a lot.

I need to go, but was planning on leaving comments on a couple of your other posts.

I'm glad you found my blog(s).

Sue